Mother's Day!

Sunday 30 March 2014




Happy Mother's Day to all you lovely mummy's out there. I adore my mum, she's a pretty awesome lady, but she gets enough presents on her birthday and at Christmas...and they're difficult enough to shop for. So we decided to buy the generic flowers and some macarons and then take her for afternoon tea instead.








Bea's of Bloomsbury is a cute little cafe type tea room near St Paul's Cathedral. The standard afternoon tea is £19 per person and consists of some savoury filled brioche buns, a cupcake, a scone and a mix of mini sweet treats (brownies, meringues and marshmallows). We had pulled pork and cheese with pepper brioche buns and raspberry, nutella, and praline cupcakes, although they vary day to day and the table next to us had a different selection of cakes.

The food was very good, the brioche buns and the scones were especially good. I will definitely be attempting to make little brioche rolls at home. The mini brownie bites were yummy, and a good follow on from the buns, but they snuck peanut butter in the walnut brownies which made me sad :(. 
If you follow me on Twitter and Instagram you will know I love to bake, and although the frosting was delicious and creamy, I can't say I was very impressed with the actual cupcake. It was a bit nothing-y.

It's a shame, as they are in a great location and are a very reasonable price for London. A few little differences could make this good place a great place. The service especially needs a change, grubby cups and having to wait 10/15 minutes to be asked about tea isn't ideal, especially when your food is already out waiting. I would definitely go back for cream tea, or perhaps lunch, but I wouldn't re-visit for the afternoon tea as is.

Speaking of cupcakes - I made some for my mummy last night, I will put up a more detailed post/recipe later this week so keep an eye out for that.


I hope all the mummy's have been thoroughly spoilt today, and I hope you all had a great weekend.

Megan xoxo

2 comments:

  1. So that's a perfect afteroon tea! Lov the cupcake you made :) aaaaand i love your blog, it's super cute!

    Lottie | Little Once Upon a Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh thank you :) - I will be dedicating a whole post to those cupcakes. Make sure you check back for it :D

      Delete